- Age of Secession: The International and Domestic Determinants of State Birth. 2016 (Cambridge University Press)
- “The Waltzian Ordering Principle and International Change: A Two-Dimensional Model.” European Journal of International Relations, Forthcoming.
- “Between Eurocentrism and Babel: A Framework for the Analysis of States, State Systems, and International Orders.” International Studies Quarterly, 2017, Vol. 61(2): 328-336 (with Charles Butcher).
- “Admission to the Sovereignty Club: The Past, Present, and Future of the International Recognition Regime.” Territory, Politics, Governance, 2017, Vol. 5(2): 177-189.
- “States, Nations, and Territorial Stability: Why Chinese Hegemony Would Be Better for International Order.” Security Studies, 2016, Vol. 25(3): 519-545.
- “Between Dissolution and Blood: How Administrative Lines and Categories Shape Secessionist Outcomes.” International Organization, 2015, Vol. 69(3): 731-751.
- “Alternative International Systems? System Structure and Violent Conflict in 19th Century West Africa, Southeast Asia, and South Asia.” Review of International Studies, 2015, Vol. 41(4): 715-737 (with Charles Butcher).
- “Between the Sword and the Wall: Spain’s Limited Options for Catalan Secessionism.” Nations and Nationalism, 2015, Vol. 21(1): 43-61 (with Pablo Guillen and Fernando Martinez).
- “Secession and the Invisible Hand of the International System.” Review of International Studies, 2014, Vol. 40(3): 559-581.
- “The Future of Self-Determination and Territorial Integrity in the Asian Century.” The Pacific Review, 2014, Vol. 27(3): 457-478.
- “Membership Has Its Privileges: The Changing Benefits of Statehood.” International Studies Review, 2014, Vol. 16(1): 79-106 (with Tanisha Fazal).
- “Introducing the International System(s) Dataset (ISD), 1816-2011.” International Interactions, 2013, Vol. 39(5): 748-768 (with Charles Butcher).
- “Security Threats, Linguistic Homogeneity, and the Necessary Conditions for Political Unification.” Nations and Nationalism, 2010, Vol. 16(1): 169-188.
Chapters in Peer-Reviewed Edited Volumes:
- “War and Variation in the Structure of Historical International Systems: A Theoretical Model.” In Martin Hall, Jens Bartelson, and Jan Teorell (eds), De-Centering State-Making: Historical and Geographical Perspectives. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2018 (with Charles Butcher).
- “Kurdistan´s Independence and the International System of Sovereign States.” In Alex Danilovich (ed), Iraqi Kurdistan in Middle Eastern Politics. London: Ashgate, 2016.
- “Secession.” Encyclopedia of Political Thought, Wiley-Blackwell, 2014.
- “Globalization and Separatism: The Influence of Internal and External Interdependence on the Strategy of Separatism.” In Jerry Harris (ed), The Nation in the Global Era: Conflict and Transformation. Leiden: Brill, 2009 (with Ivan Savic)
- “Who Counts? Why do Governments Deny Secession in Some Cases But Not Others?” Barcelona Centre for International Affairs (CIDOB). Forthcoming.
- “Europe in the Time of State Proliferation.” Perspectives on Europe, 2015 Autumn 45:2.
- “A State of One’s Own: The Rise of Secession Since World War II.” The Brown Journal of World Affairs, 2008, Vol. 15(1): 199-208 (with Tanisha Fazal).
- “Power Politics and State Formation in the Twentieth Century: The Dynamics of Recognition,” by Bridget Coggins, H-Diplo, H-Net Reviews. January, 2015.
- “Good Fences, Bad Neighbors: Border Fixity and International Conflict,” by Boaz Atzili, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, Australian Army Journal, 2012, Vol. 9(3): 175-176.